Sunday, August 5, 2012

Changing Once Again

Someone once said, "Change is good." And I believe in most cases that is true. But enough is enough already. After teaching language arts for 18 years, I was asked to change what I teach to encompass an entirely different curriculum - technology. That was 5 years ago. Since then, I've changed and/or rewritten my curriculum every year to accommodate the curriculum decisions made by my school district. And true to form, this year proved to be no different. Once again I found myself changing my curriculum to fit the needs of students in this ever-changing world of technology.

Allow me to introduce the two NEW technology courses I am now teaching...21st Century Skills and Technology Communications.

21st Century Skills is a required class for all 8th grade students. The purpose of this class is to prepare students for their upcoming experience at Oskaloosa High School where a 1:1 computer/student program is currently being implemented. After lengthy conversations with the high school instructors, I developed this course around the skills they said they want students to have when they arrive at the high school as 9th graders.

Technology Communicationsis an elective course open to 6th and 7th graders. The focus of this course will be to look at how we communicate ideas through the various technologies available today. We can't possibly look at all the methods available, but hopefully we can look at a variety of methods wide enough to give even the pickiest of communicators a selection of methods they can use to communicate their ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment