Friday, August 31, 2012

Jack of all Trades and Master of None?

Is it possible to try too many new things at one time? I'm beginning to think the answer to this question may be a resounding "YES!" It could be tragic to try too many tech tools before getting a few good ones down well. One of the last things I want to do is to become a "Jack of all Trades and Master of None."

This year I'm not only writing curriculum for two...count them...TWO new computer classes, but I'm also implementing several new tools with those classes (Edmodo, TeacherBlogIt, Google Sites, etc). I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. The kids seem to be picking up on the new tools nicely, however need a lot of prompting. But, "the night is still young." Hopefully they will come around. My concern is that the effectiveness of the tools will die out after the newness wears off (after all, creating a habit can be a difficult thing). I guess the outcome of that is up to me. It won't die out if I don't let it. One thing's for sure though, I definitely don't want to dive in head first and then hit the bottom. I want to dive in and SWIM for all I'm worth! I guess time will tell me whether my endeavors have been successful or hit bottom. And if, at the end of the trimester, I'm still unsure about my successes...all I'll have to do is ask my students. They are often painfully truthful about such matters. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment